Profesionales por la Ética, an Spanish organization that has been working on the defense of human dignity and fundamental rights for 22 years now, offers you a monthly selection of relevant worldwide news on the defense of human rights. We hope it is of interest to you.
CITIZEN INITIATIVE ONE OF US HEARING
- The European Commission scheduled the official hearing of the One of Us citizen initiative, signed by 2 million citizens in the EU. The pro-choice lobby was massively mobilizing and a very controversial hearing was expected.
The European Dignity Watch defined it in their newsletter in this way: It was a real thriller. But the result couldn’t be better for the proponents of the biggest Citizen Initiative of the EU, One of Us. The European Parliament has never before, in its history, seen such a frank, honest and high-level debate about the inconsistencies of the EU regarding the equal protection of every human being from the moment of conception onwards. You can read it here
7th FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS PLATFORM (FRP)MEETING
- Profesionales por la Ética is currently at the meeting with around 180 NGOs’ representatives from all over Europe. They started yesterday a process of brainstorming by sharing their concerns on issues they are directly working on through their respective organizations. A lot of topics in relation to human rights have been mentioned, but no one has risen yet his/her voice to defend a very relevant one: freedom of education as a fundamental parental right that is silently violated in our continent.
That is the reason why Profesionales por la Ética has a space for its own inside this important international meeting to inform, denounce and provide best practices in order to raise awareness on this issue, put in common experiences from other countries and discuss ideas to protect the parents right to educate their children in conformity with their own convictions.
In this context and aiming to provide governments and civil society with a tool which may help guarantee parental rights, Profesionales por la Ética is asking the Fundamental Rights Agency to support and promote the generalization of a form «NOTIFICATION FOR CONSENT» from parents to school. The notification requests that the school provides parents with the necessary prior information on any subject, lecture, workshop or activity that may refer to a moral issue and, in particular, those related to issues of an affective-sexual nature. The information must include a description of the activity, its content, programming, materials, dates and duration, as well as all relevant data from the person/s who may teach it, so they can properly evaluate whether to grant their consent for their children to attend such school activity or not.
The implementation of such a form in schools would certainly guarantee parental rights, freedom of education and conscience and religious freedom.
LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL PLATFORM
- Profesionales por la Ética has just become partner in the platform Life is Beautiful, an international platform of NGOs working at the UN to defend the right to life, family, freedom of education and conscience. You can read more about the Platform here: www.lifeisbeautiful.org
- Our organization is the promoter partner of the World Family Declaration in Spain. The World Family Declaration, an initiative of the World Congress of Families and endorsed by pro-family organizations across the globe, is now online at www.worldfamilydeclaration…..org and available for electronic signature.
«Never before has there been a universal banner uniting all peoples to rally in protection of the natural family, and never has it needed protection as urgently as now», stated WCF Director of UN Affairs Doug Clark. «We have created the World Family Declaration to address that need and be that banner». Opening with the words «We the people of many lands and cultures», the Declaration is grounded in Article 16(3) of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which states, «The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.»
- FAFCE has just launched its campaign calling on candidates for the European Elections to promote family friendly policies if elected. All info is available on the campaign website: www.voteforfamily2014.eu and you can also watch and help spread the video presentation of the campaign.
- The Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe’s Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) will publish its 2013 annual report on hate crimes on November 17, 2014. The report provides an overview of data collected on hate crimes, and of responses to hate crimes. The Observatory on Intolerance and Discrimination against Christians in Europe submitted a 170-page report to support the OSCE/ODIHR publication on April 9th, 2014.
You can find the submission here
Head of International Area
PROFESIONALES POR LA ÉTICA